The town of Llangollen owes much to the Victorians. In the 18th century the town was a hive of industry based on the manufacture of linen from locally grown flax. The flax industry was succeeded at the beginning of the 19th century by cotton spinning which was replaced in the 1830’s by woollen manufacture which then became the major industry in the town for over 100 years. The construction of the all important Llangollen railway line was started in 1859 and finished in 1861.
Today Llangollen is home to a wide variety of individual shops and eating houses catering for every need. Most of the establishments are small family run businesses giving a friendly personal service to their customers.
The town of Llangollen is on the banks of the River Dee with the famous steam railway on the north bank of the river and Llangollen canal just beyond. The town is within easy reach of Chester, Shrewsbury and Telford and is an ideal destination for a short break.
History of No.39 (The Old Tailors Chocolate Shop):
No. 39 Castle Street, a grade two listed building, was built by Morris Roberts, Builder of Llangollen’ whist the architect was Hill and son Oswestry. Mr Roberts bought the land at auction on 23rd December 1858. The building was finished in the 1860s and by the 1870s was used by a printer and stationer. In 1891 it was recorded as being an ironmongers and by 1897 was occupied by a tailor. Although suits ceased to be made in the rear workshops during the 1930s a succession of tailors occupied the building until 2001.
|© Hardy & Co 2017|